This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is working in a pediatric intensive care unit. A young couple has just been informed that ... (Read 40 times)

ssal

The nurse is working in a pediatric intensive care unit. A young couple has just been informed that their 6-year-old son has died after being in the unit for 1 month. The couple is grief stricken and says to the nurse,

We can't believe this has happened. He was too young. God is watching over him. Do you believe in God? What is the most appropriate response by the nurse?
  a. It was his time. He is in a better place.
  b. He suffered enough. He is in peace now.
  c. I believe he is with angels, but what you think is most important.
  d. It doesn't matter what I think. It is only important what you think.

Question 2

The nurse is speaking with a 40-year-old woman at a fund-raiser. The woman states, I have never had a mammogram. I am a Buddhist and I believe if I get cancer, then that is what my fate will be. What is the most appropriate response by the nurse?

a. You are 40 years old and really should start thinking about having a mammogram.
  b. Breast cancer can be cured if caught and treated early enough. You are not giving yourself an opportunity think about your own health.
  c. I don't know of any religion that just allows people to die. You may need to rethink this.
  d. This is certainly your choice; however, there is research that shows screening is helpful and effective.