Author Question: A patient had surgery 6 hours ago. When the nurse enters the room to turn him, she notes that he is ... (Read 14 times)

altibaby

A patient had surgery 6 hours ago. When the nurse enters the room to turn him, she notes that he is restless and grimacing. Considering the patient's nonverbal communication, what action should the nurse take first?

1) Administer pain medication to the patient.
  2) Turn and reposition the patient.
  3) Assess to determine the cause of the grimacing.
  4) Leave the patient's room so he can rest quietly.

Question 2

The nurse must insert a nasogastric (NG) tube into a patient with a bowel obstruction. Before inserting the tube, the nurse must explain the procedure to the patient. Which explanation by the nurse is best, assuming that all provide correct information?

1) I'm going to insert an NG tube and connect it to low Gomco to keep your stomach empty.
  2) I'm going to insert a tube through your nose into your stomach to prevent you from vomiting.
  3) I'm going to insert an NG tube through your nares to suction your secretions and prevent emesis.
  4) Hold still, please; I need to elevate the head of the bed and insert this tube.

janeli

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2