This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A student nurse assigned to a female, observant Muslim patient noticed her discomfort with several ... (Read 125 times)

cnetterville

A student nurse assigned to a female, observant Muslim patient noticed her discomfort with several of the male health care providers. She wonders if this discomfort is related to the pa-tient's religious beliefs.

In her preparation for clinical, she learned that Muslims differ in their adherence to tradition, but that modesty is the overarching Islamic ethic pertaining to interac-tion between the sexes (Rabin, 2010). The student nurse states which of the following to the pa-tient? a. I'm going to request that you only have female physicians see you. Does having male nurses bother you as well?
  b. I know that it's hard to get used to, but you just have to get used to it. That's how it is in America.
  c. It must be difficult for people like you to adjust to our ways, but there are limita-tions for all of us.
  d. I know that for many of our Muslim pa-tients modesty is very important. Is there some way I can make you more comfort-able?'

Question 2

A bedridden patient with long hair may experience problems with matting. What is the most appropriate nursing action?

a. Cut the matted hair away.
  b. Braid the hair to reduce the tangles.
  c. Use a thick, commercial product to grease the hair.
  d. Keep the hair dry by applying powder every morning.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

coyin

Answer to Question 1

D
Delivering culturally congruent care to individuals and communities requires specific knowledge, skills, and attitudes. Nurses who provide culturally competent care bridge cultural gaps to pro-vide meaningful and supportive care for all patients. The student nurse states to the patient, I know that for many of our Muslim patients modesty is very important. Is there some way I can make you more comfortable? The student did not assume that the information will automatically apply to this patient. Instead, the student combined her knowledge about a cultural group with the attitude of helpfulness and flexibility so as to provide quality patient-centered culturally con-gruent care.

Answer to Question 2

B
Braiding helps to avoid repeated tangles. Ask permission before braiding or cutting a patient's hair. Do not apply powder every morning. Moistening the hair with water or an alcohol-free detangle product makes the hair easier to comb.

cnetterville

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
:D TYSM

upturnedfurball

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library