This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A woman has been prescribed a daily iron supplement by her health care provider. She recently became ... (Read 129 times)

abern

A woman has been prescribed a daily iron supplement by her health care provider. She recently became constipated, most likely related to the iron supplement. Which of the following best de-scribes this response?

a. Therapeutic effect
  b. Adverse reaction
  c. Side effect
  d. Toxicity

Question 2

A woman is attending a nurse-facilitated grief support group. The woman's son was killed in Iraq 18 months earlier.

She confides that while at the gravesite yesterday, she broke down and the feelings of hurt were as deep as the day she found out about the death. She states, I will never get over this feeling of intense grief. The nurse discovers that yesterday would have been her son's 21st birthday. What is the nurse's best response? a. That kind of reaction is very rare after so long a time. It would be best to avoid the cemetery on dates that might trigger this type of reaction.
  b. What happened to you yesterday is un-derstandable and common in people who have lost loved ones.
  c. I find that hard to believe. We all grieve basically the same way, and I know that I would not react that way after such a long time.
  d. The fact that you reacted so strongly is concerning to me. This could be the be-ginning of some bigger issues.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dreamfighter72

Answer to Question 1

C
A side effect is a predictable and often unavoidable secondary effect produced at a usual thera-peutic dose. Each medication has a therapeutic effect, the intended or desired physiological re-sponse of a medication. Undesired, unintended, and often unpredictable responses to medication are referred to as adverse effects. Toxic effects are capable of causing injury or death. They often develop after prolonged intake of a medication or when a medication accumulates in the blood because of impaired metabolism or excretion.

Answer to Question 2

B
Reinforce the understanding that people grieve differently and that feelings change or resolve over time. Some people have anniversary reactions (heightened or renewed feelings of loss or grief) months or years after a loss. They worry that they are losing ground when signs of grief reappear after a period of relative calm. Offer reassurance that anniversary reactions are common, and encourage pleasant reminiscence.

abern

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

strudel15

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library