This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The mother of a 45-year-old patient is a retired physician and requests to discuss the patient's ... (Read 97 times)

mmm

The mother of a 45-year-old patient is a retired physician and requests to discuss the patient's plan of care with the nurse caring for the patient. What is the nurse's best response to this re-quest?

a. I will need to ask permission from my supervisor before I can share that infor-mation.
  b. I will show you the chart, just follow me and we can discuss your questions and concerns.
  c. I would suggest that you leave me out of your family problems. I am here to care for the patient.
  d. I will have to get the patient's permission before I can share that information.

Question 2

A registered nurse is working on a pediatric oncology unit and caring for four children undergoing chemotherapy. Today a new nursing assistive personnel (NAP) who has passed a competency examination is assigned to the team.

The nurse will delegate a portion of the funda-mental nursing tasks to the NAP during the shift, but realizes that he or she is still responsible for his or her own actions and is accountable for the care. The nurse is following which principle of behavior? a. Ethical dilemma
  b. Code of ethics
  c. Bioethics
  d. Feminist ethics

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

meryzewe

Answer to Question 1

D
Even family members or friends of the patient are not permitted access to the patient's personal health information without the patient's consent. Federal legislation known as HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) requires that those with access to personal health information not disclose the information to a third party without patient consent. The nurse does not need to ask permission from the supervisor because HIPAA laws state what the nurse can do. I would suggest that you leave me out of your family problems is inappropriate because it ignores the request of the family member. Showing the chart and discussing the care is a violation of HIPAA.

Answer to Question 2

B
The code of ethics reflects underlying principles that include responsibility, accountability, re-spect for confidentiality, competency, judgment, and advocacy. An ethical dilemma exists when the right thing to do is not clear or when members of the health care team cannot agree on the right thing to do. The study of bioethics represents a particular branch of ethics (i.e., the study of ethics within the field of health care). Feminist ethics proposes that we routinely ask how ethical decisions will affect women as a way to repair a history of inequality (Lindeman, 2005).

mmm

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

cam1229

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library