This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A student nurse is completing a community health rotation. One of the clients is a pregnant teen. ... (Read 29 times)

mmm

A student nurse is completing a community health rotation. One of the clients is a pregnant teen. The student nurse has been teaching the client about infant nutrition.

Which statement indicates to the student nurse that the client needs additional teaching? a. Breast milk is all my baby will need for the first 4 to 6 months.
  b. Breast milk should be the major source of nutrition for the first year.
  c. My baby won't need as many calories per kilogram as I will.
  d. Breastfeeding my baby will decrease the chances for food allergies.

Question 2

An 89-year-old patient who lives in a nursing home has been admitted to the hospital for observation after falling, and is exhibiting confusion and malaise in the nursing home.

He had a urinary catheter inserted 2 weeks ago when he complained of difficulty urinating. Lab work was ordered and the nurse notes that his neutrophil count is elevated. She knows that this, combined with the other clinical signs and symptoms, most likely indicates what condition? a. Tuberculosis
  b. Parasitic infection
  c. Acute bacterial infection
  d. Viral infection

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kaykay69

Answer to Question 1

C
The baby needs more calories than the mother, so this misinformation needs to be clarified. The woman who is lactating needs 500 kcal/day above the usual allowance because the production of milk increases energy requirements. Infants need an energy intake of approximately 108 kcal/kg of body weight in the first half of infancy and 98 kcal/kg in the second half. Infants need about 100 to 120 mL/kg/day of fluid because a large portion of total body weight is water. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breast milk or formula as the major source of food for up to 1 year in age. Breast milk or formula provides sufficient nutrition for the first 4 to 6 months of life. The benefits of breastfeeding include reduced food allergies and intolerances, fewer infant infections, and easier digestion. In addition, breast milk is convenient, fresh, always the correct temperature, and economical, because it is less expensive than formula. Infants should not have regular cow's milk during the first year of life. Infants receiving cow's milk have been found to have lower intakes of iron, linoleic acid, and vitamin E; and excessive amounts of sodium, potassium, and protein.

Answer to Question 2

C
Neutrophil counts are elevated in the presence of acute bacterial infection. Lymphocytes are increased in viral infections. Monocytes are elevated in tuberculosis infections. Eosinophils are usually elevated in parasitic infections.

mmm

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

diana chang

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library