This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient is being seen for chronic back pain. The patient states, I'm always in pain, and I don't ... (Read 74 times)

sjones

The patient is being seen for chronic back pain. The patient states, I'm always in pain, and I don't like taking the pain medication because it makes me sleepy. I have to work to support my family.

The nurse is aware that this patient may be a candidate for cutaneous stimulation. Cutaneous stimulation includes which of the following? (Select all that apply.) a. TENS unit
  b. NSAIDs
  c. Massage
  d. Yoga
  e. Ice bags

Question 2

The student nurse is working on the surgical floor. The student nurse is assigned to take care of a patient with hemiplegia and communication deficits from a previous stroke. The patient is 1-day postoperative from abdominal surgery.

Which of the following interventions would promote comfort and help the patient remain pain free? (Select all that apply.) a. Keep the bed sheet wrinkle free.
  b. Only change wet dressings or bed linens once a shift.
  c. Remove noxious stimuli from the room.
  d. Continue to use the establish pain scale for this patient.
  e. Give pain medication after ambulation down the hall.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

rekilledagain

Answer to Question 1

A, C, E
Cutaneous stimulation of the skin helps to relieve pain. A massage, warm bath, ice bag, and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) are simple ways to reduce pain perception. How cutaneous stimulation works is unclear, but it may cause release of endorphins, thus blocking transmission of painful stimuli. NSAIDs are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that can help relieve chronic back pain through pharmaceutical therapy. Yoga is used as a diversional or holistic therapy.

Answer to Question 2

A, C, D
One simple way to promote comfort is to remove or prevent painful stimuli. For example, tighten and smooth wrinkled bed linen and be sure to position patients off tubing and other equipment. Change wet dressings or bed linen immediately. Removing noxious stimuli is especially important for patients who are immobile. You can prevent pain by anticipating painful activities (e.g., ambulation, turning). Before performing a procedure, consider the patient's condition, aspects of the procedure that are painful, and ways to avoid causing pain. Always use an established pain scale to promote accurate assessment of pain.

sjones

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
:D TYSM

robbielu01

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library