This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has just made some statements that seem vague and ambiguous to the nurse. The best ... (Read 12 times)

maychende

A patient has just made some statements that seem vague and ambiguous to the nurse. The best statement by the nurse after the patient finishes speaking would be,

a. Are you afraid these tests will bring results that will upset you?
  b. I'd like to understand more about what happened earlier today.
  c. Why do you think this happened to you today instead of earlier?
  d. You said earlier that you were upset by the physician on rounds.

Question 2

A nurse talking with a patient about a new diagnosis of advanced cancer wishes to encourage the patient to continue speaking without asking direct questions. The patient has not decided whether to have treatment or go on hospice.

Which statement by the nurse would best accomplish this goal? a. My brother had the same thing, and he did well with treatment.
  b. So you are not sure if you want to try the treatment or not.
  c. Tell me more about what you are thinking about your options.
  d. Uh huh, I see you are having a conflict about having treatment.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Dinolord

Answer to Question 1

B
Saying I'd like to understand more . . . shows clarification, a technique used when a patient makes vague statements or after the patient finishes a train of thought.
Asking whether the patient is afraid to get test results would be an example of reflection, a technique used when a patient does not state his or her underlying feelings. This would not be the best choice in this particular situation.
This why question is probing and might well put the patient on the defensive, especially if the patient does not understand the feelings behind what is being said.
You said earlier that you were upset by the physician on rounds is an example of restatement.

Answer to Question 2

B
In restatement, the nurse repeats what the patient just said, either verbatim or paraphrased. The goal is to let the patient know the nurse is listening and to encourage elaboration.
Telling the patient about a family member's experience with cancer is an example of inappropriate self-disclosure and might make the patient feel as if his or her own feelings were not as important.
Asking the patient to further explain what has just been said is an example of clarification, which helps ensure the message received is the one that was sent. Although useful, this is not the best choice in this situation.
Uh huh, I see you are having a conflict about having treatment sounds patronizing and would most likely make the patient feel as if he or she is not really being listened to because the nurse is deciding what the patient meant.

maychende

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

scikid

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library