This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: While working on an orthopedic unit of an acute care facility, the nurse's level of suspicion ... (Read 83 times)

Sufayan.ah

While working on an orthopedic unit of an acute care facility, the nurse's level of suspicion regarding substance dependency would be heightened if a peer made which of the following comments?

1. Why don't you go to lunch and I'll give your client something for pain.
  2. I went out with my friends last night and got so drunk on two drinks.
  3. I think Mr. Mathews in room 212 is a drug abuser, because he's always asking for something for pain.
  4. I have a urinary tract infection, and I've had to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes.

Question 2

The nurse is preparing a client for a palliative procedure. Which of the following is an appropriate description for the nurse to use to describe the purpose of the surgery?

1. This procedure will establish the diagnosis for further treatment
  2. This procedure will relieve pressure on the nerve causing the pain
  3. This procedure will restore function from the previous procedure
  4. This procedure will replace the malfunctioning nerve

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sylvia

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The nurse who frequently offers to administer narcotics to other nurses' clients raises the suspicion of possible substance dependency, but this is not conclusive proof, and should not be acted upon until further information is obtained that indicates substance use. The nurse who felt drunk after two drinks is unlikely to have a problem, because tolerance increases with repeated use. The nurse talking about Mr. Mathews has broken client confidentiality, and needs more education about pain management, but does not cause suspicion about substance dependency. Urinary tract infections do cause frequent trips to the bathroom, and it is unlikely someone going to the bathroom every 20 minutes is taking a narcotic that frequently.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Diagnostic procedures confirm or establish a diagnosis, such as a biopsy of a mass in a breast

Sufayan.ah

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

Bigfoot1984

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library