This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is transcribing a physician's handwritten orders, and is uncertain about a word in one of ... (Read 13 times)

Collmarie

The nurse is transcribing a physician's handwritten orders, and is uncertain about a word in one of the orders.

The nurse shares the order with an experienced nurse, who says, Oh, lots of people have trouble with his orders because of the way he makes his Ts. That word is 'twice,' and the order reads 'Give Maalox 30 mL twice daily after meals.'  The nurse will: 1. Review the order to see if that interpretation makes sense.
  2. Ask the nursing supervisor to interpret the order.
  3. Ask another nurse to interpret the order to see if it matches.
  4. Accept the nurse's interpretation.

Question 2

The nurse admits a 62-year-old man who reports, I always feel like I need to void, but it takes so long for me to get my flow started, and then I only go a few drops. The nurse suspects:

1. Bladder infection.
  2. Benign prostatic hypertrophy.
  3. Renal failure.
  4. Prostatitis.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

shewald78

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The nurse was familiar with the doctor's handwriting, and indicates that this is a common problem with this physician's handwriting, which gives validity to the interpretation, but ultimately it is the nurse transcribing the order who is responsible for transcribing the order properly, so the order should be reviewed to see if it makes sense. If it does, the order can be transcribed as indicated. However, if the transcribing nurse has any doubt about the validity of the interpretation, the safest thing to do is to clarify the order with the physician.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Enlargement of the prostate places pressure on the urethra, making it difficult to begin the stream, and causes inadequate emptying, leading to frequency. Prostatitis manifests with fever, chills, frequency, and nocturia, and can include back pain and pain after ejaculation. Renal failure would result in reduced urine output and edema. Bladder infection will need to be ruled out, but with the client's age, BPH would be a higher likelihood.

Collmarie

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

tkempin

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

Multiple experimental evidences have confirmed that at the molecular level, cancer is caused by lesions in cellular DNA.

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library