Author Question: The nurse receives a call from a client who wishes to become pregnant, who says, I thought for sure ... (Read 15 times)

tfester

The nurse receives a call from a client who wishes to become pregnant, who says, I thought for sure this time I was pregnant. My period was due yesterday, but the over-the-counter pregnancy test I bought was negative.

What should I do? The nurse suggests: 1. Wait 24 hours and use another pregnancy test.
  2. Wait until your period is a week overdue and then test again.
  3. I'm sorry, but it indicates you are not pregnant.
  4. Come to the doctor's office and we will do a urine pregnancy test here.

Question 2

In addition to pain management, the nurse's priority of care for clients diagnosed with bone disorders is:

1. Resolving knowledge deficits.
  2. Assessing circulation.
  3. Promoting self-esteem.
  4. Maintaining correct body alignment.

itsakadoozi

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Home pregnancy tests react to the presence of human chorionic gonadotropic hormone (HCG) produced by the growing fetus, which are not likely to elevate to sufficient levels to be found until 7-10 days after a missed period. The nurse will advise the woman to retest in a week, or might call her into the office to draw serum HCG levels, which are more sensitive, and can be used for earlier diagnosis of pregnancy.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The priority of care for all clients with bone disorders is maintaining correct body alignment to prevent deformities. Knowledge deficits, circulation risks, and self-esteem needs might apply to some clients, but not every client with a bone disorder will have those needs.