This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: It is late at night on the medical unit in the hospital, and the physician calls to leave orders for ... (Read 105 times)

vicotolentino

It is late at night on the medical unit in the hospital, and the physician calls to leave orders for one of his clients. The licensed practical nurse (LPN) answers the phone and appropriately re-sponds with which of the following statements?

a. Let me get the registered nurse on the phone.
  b. I am unable to take the order at this time. Please call in the morning.
  c. Please repeat the order for me so I can make sure it is written correctly.
  d. Let me have your phone number, and I will have the supervisor call you back.

Question 2

The nurse should question which order?

a. A normal saline enema to be repeated every 4 hours until stool is produced
  b. A hypertonic solution enema with a patient with fluid volume excess
  c. A Kayexalate enema for a patient with hypokalemia
  d. An oil retention enema for a patient using mineral oil laxatives

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lkoler

Answer to Question 1

A
A telephone order involves a physician stating a prescribed therapy over the phone to a registered nurse.
I am unable to take the order at this time. Please call in the morning is not an appropriate re-sponse and is not in the client's best interest.
It is best to repeat any prescribed orders back to the physician, who can then verify whether it is correct or clarify the order. A registered nurse must be the one to take the verbal order.
Let me have your phone number, and I will have the supervisor call you back is not the appro-priate response. A registered nurse must take the verbal order; the nursing supervisor does not need to take it.

Answer to Question 2

C
Kayexalate binds to and helps excrete potassium, so it would be contraindicated in patients who are hypokalemic (have low potassium). Normal saline enemas can be repeated without risk of fluid or electrolyte imbalance. Hypertonic solutions are intended for patients who cannot handle large fluid volume and are contraindicated for dehydrated patients. Because mineral oil laxatives and an oil retention enema have the same intended effect of lubricating the colon and rectum, an oil retention enema is not needed.

vicotolentino

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Excellent

billybob123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library