Author Question: The nurse has completed the admission assessment for a client admitted to the hospital's sub-acute ... (Read 26 times)

Zoey63294

The nurse has completed the admission assessment for a client admitted to the hospital's sub-acute care unit. Of the following nursing diagnoses identified by the nurse, which one takes the highest priority?

a. Social isolation
  b. Risk for injury
  c. Adjustment, impaired
  d. Communication, impaired verbal

Question 2

A home health nurse is performing a home assessment for safety. Which of the following comments by the patient would indicate a need for further education?

a. I will schedule an appointment with a chimney inspector next week.
  b. Daylight savings is the time to change batteries on the carbon monoxide detector.
  c. If I feel dizzy when using the heater, I need to have it inspected.
  d. When it is cold outside in the winter, I can warm my car up in the garage.

kiamars2010

Answer to Question 1

B
The nursing diagnosis Risk for injury is the highest priority. Safety is always the most important consideration.
The nursing diagnosis Social isolation is not the highest priority.
The nursing diagnosis Adjustment, impaired is not the highest priority.
The nursing diagnosis Communication, impaired verbal is not the highest priority.

Answer to Question 2

D
Allowing a car to run in the garage introduces carbon monoxide into the environment and decreases the available oxygen for human consumption. Garages should be opened and not just cracked to allow fresh air into the space and allay this concern. Checking the chimney and heater, changing the batteries on the detector, and following up on symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, and fatigue are all statements that would indicate that the individual has understood the education.