Author Question: An obese quadriplegic client has requested being transferred to a chair so he can be fed lunch ... (Read 20 times)

WWatsford

• Biology Forums!
An obese quadriplegic client has requested being transferred to a chair so he can be fed lunch sitting upright.

Which of the following statements made by the ancillary personnel assigned this task reflects the best understanding of the implementation of this transfer? a. I'll reserve the mechanical lift for right before lunch.
  b. I'll certainly need someone to help me with this transfer.
  c. Eating in an upright position will certainly make lunch more enjoyable for him.
  d. Maybe he would enjoy being transferred into the dayroom to eat with the oth-ers.

Question 2

A client has been diagnosed with malignant bone cancer, and treatment involves chemotherapy on an outpatient basis.

Over the course of the treatment, the client becomes very ill and is expe-riencing debilitating side effects from the therapy and a severe reduction in the quality of life. Which of the following ethical principles is in question in this situation? a. Veracity
  b. Fidelity
  c. Justice
  d. Nonmaleficence

dantucker

Answer to Question 1

A
Mechanical lifts and lift teams are essential when the client is unable to assist. The client's weight makes the mechanical lift the most appropriate option for the transfer.
The statement I'll certainly need someone to help me with this transfer is not directly related to the implementation of the actual transfer.
The statement Eating in an upright position will certainly make lunch more enjoyable for him is not directly related to the implementation of the actual transfer.
The statement Maybe he would enjoy being transferred into the dayroom to eat with the others is not directly related to the implementation of the actual transfer.

Answer to Question 2

D
Nonmaleficence is the avoidance of harm or hurt. The discomforts of treatment raise the follow-ing question: is the treatment benefiting the client, or are the side effects of the treatment worse than the disease itself? The health care professional should try to weigh the risks and benefits of a plan of care and strive to do the least harm possible.
Veracity refers to truthfulness. Truthfulness is not an issue in this situation.
Fidelity refers to agreement to keep promises. Fidelity is not an issue in this situation.
Justice refers to fairness. Justice is not an issue in this situation.