This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client has rheumatoid arthritis, is prone to skin breakdown, and is also somewhat immobile ... (Read 10 times)

michelleunicorn

The client has rheumatoid arthritis, is prone to skin breakdown, and is also somewhat immobile because of arthritic discomfort. Which of the following interventions is the best one for this cli-ent's skin integrity?

a. Having the client sit up in a chair for four-hour intervals
  b. Keeping the head of the bed in a high-Fowler's position to increase circulation
  c. Keeping a written schedule of turning and positioning
  d. Encouraging the client to perform pelvic muscle training exercises several times a day

Question 2

A nurse is ambivalent about performing vigorous suctioning in a terminally ill client in a comatose state. Which of the following is the appropriate statement by the nurse in regard to processing this ethical dilemma?

a. I need to know the legalities of the living will of this client.
  b. My spiritual beliefs mandate that I continue to provide all the interventions within my scope of practice.
  c. I cannot figure out what's right in this situation. I need to collect more data.
  d. I just feel that I should not suction this client.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bblaney

Answer to Question 1

C
The frequency of repositioning should be individualized for the client; however, clients should be repositioned at least every two hours. The Registered Nurses Associated of Ontario (RNAO) recommends that a written turning and positioning schedule be used.
Clients able to sit in a chair should be limited to sitting for two hours or less.
Elevating the head of the bed to 30 degrees or less will decrease the chance of pressure ulcer de-velopment from shearing forces.
Pelvic muscle training may help prevent incontinence, but it is not the best intervention for maintaining the client's skin integrity.

Answer to Question 2

C
The first step in processing an ethical dilemma is determining whether the problem is an ethical one. The nurse who cannot figure out what is right is stating a characteristic of an ethical dilem-ma, which is that the problem is perplexing. The next step is to gather as much relevant infor-mation as possible.
The nurse who wants to know the legalities of the living will of a client is collecting some, but not all, data pertaining to the problem.
The statement My spiritual beliefs mandate that I continue to provide all the interventions within my scope of practice. describes the nurse's own beliefs.
The nurse is describing the problem in terms of her feelings.

michelleunicorn

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

dawsa925

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library