This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements made by the patient indicates to the nurse that teaching on a ... (Read 26 times)

natalie2426

Which of the following statements made by the patient indicates to the nurse that teaching on a patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) device has been effective?

a. This is the only pain medication I will need to be on.
  b. I can administer the pain medication as frequently as I need to
  c. I feel less anxiety about the possibility of overdosing.
  d. I will need the nurse to notify me when it is time for another dose.

Question 2

A nurse is going to teach a patient about hypertension. Which action should the nurse implement first?

a. Set mutual goals for knowledge of hypertension.
  b. Teach what the patient wants to know about hypertension.
  c. Assess what the patient already knows about hypertension.
  d. Evaluate the outcomes of patient education for hypertension.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Melissahxx

Answer to Question 1

C
A PCA is a device that allows the patient to determine the level of pain relief delivered, reducing the risk of oversedation. Its use often eases anxiety because the patient is not reliant on the nurse for pain relief. Other medications, such as oral analgesics, can be given in addition to the PCA machine. The PCA does have a time limit to prevent overdose, but the patient can lengthen the amount of time between doses. One benefit of PCA is that the patient does not need to rely on the nurse to administer pain medication; the patient determines when to take the medication.

Answer to Question 2

C
Assessment is the first step of any teaching session, then diagnosing, planning, implementation, and evaluation. An effective assessment provides the basis for individualized patient teaching. Assessing what the adult patient currently knows improves the outcomes of patient education.

natalie2426

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

dawsa925

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library