Author Question: What age signifies the beginning of older adulthood? a. 55 years b. 60 years c. 65 years d. 70 ... (Read 26 times)

chads108

What age signifies the beginning of older adulthood?

a. 55 years
  b. 60 years
  c. 65 years
  d. 70 years

Question 2

The nurse is educating a student nurse on caring for a patient with a chest tube. The nurse knows that teaching has been effective when the student states

a. I should strip the drains on the chest tube every hour to promote drainage.
  b. If the chest tube becomes dislodged, the first thing I should do is notify the physician.
  c. I should clamp the chest tube when giving the patient a bed bath.
  d. I should report if I see continuous bubbling in the water-seal chamber.

TINA

Answer to Question 1

C

Feedback
A The age of 55 is not used as the lower boundary to define older adulthood.
B The age of 60 is not used as the lower boundary to define older adulthood.
C The age of 65 continues to be used as the lower boundary to define older adulthood.
D The age of 70 is not used as the lower boundary to define older adulthood.

Answer to Question 2

D
Correct care of a chest tube involves knowing normal and abnormal functioning of the tube. Bubbling in the water-seal chamber is expected. Stripping the drain requires a physician order. If the chest tube becomes dislodged, immediately apply occlusive pressure over the insertion site. The chest tube should not be clamped unless necessary; if so, the length of time clamped would be minimal to reduce the risk of pneumothorax.