This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has been diagnosed with depression is scheduled for cognitive therapy in addition to ... (Read 17 times)

LCritchfi

A patient who has been diagnosed with depression is scheduled for cognitive therapy in addition to receiving prescribed antidepressant medication.

The nurse understands that the goal of cognitive therapy will be met when what is reported by the patient?
  a. I will tell myself that I am a good person when things don't go well at work.
  b. My medications will make my problems go away.
  c. My family will help take care of my children while I am in the hospital.
  d. This therapy will improve my response to neurotransmitter impulses.

Question 2

The nurse has been asked to administer a coping measurement instrument to a patient. What education would the nurse present to the patient related to this tool?

a. This tool will let us compare your stress to other patients in the hospital.
  b. This tool is short because it only measures the negative stressors you are experiencing.
  c. You will need to ask your parents about stressors you had as a child to complete this tool.
  d. This tool will help assess recent positive and negative events you are experiencing.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

meganlapinski

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Cognitive therapy helps patients restructure their patterns of thinking to various events or thoughts in a more healthy way. Medication alters neurotransmitters but does not make problems go away. Family support is important but is not the goal of cognitive therapy. Neurotransmitters are affected by medication and brain stimulation therapy, not by cognitive therapy.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Coping measurement tools measure recent positive and negative life events as perceived by the individual. There is no objective scale for comparison with other patients because each person reacts differently to stressors. Both negative and positive events are assessed. Childhood stressors are not part of this type of evaluation as they are intended to measure recently occurring events.

LCritchfi

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

chjcharjto14

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library