This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is planning to teach a patient how to use relaxation techniques to prevent elevation of ... (Read 27 times)

oliviahorn72

The nurse is planning to teach a patient how to use relaxation techniques to prevent elevation of blood pressure and heart rate. The nurse is teaching the patient to control which physiological function?

a. Switch from the sympathetic mode of the autonomic nervous system to the parasympathetic mode.
  b. Alter the internal state by modifying electronic signals related to physiologic processes.
  c. Replace stress-producing thoughts and activities with daily stress-reducing thoughts and activities.
  d. Reduce catecholamine production and promote the production of additional beta-endorphins.

Question 2

A diabetic patient who is hospitalized tells the nurse, I don't understand why I can keep my blood sugar under control at home with diet alone, but when I get sick, my blood sugar goes up. Which response by the nurse is appropriate?

a. It is probably just coincidental that your blood sugar is high when you are ill.
  b. Stressors such as illness cause the release of hormones that increase blood sugar.
  c. Increased blood sugar occurs because the kidneys are not able to metabolize glucose as well during stressful times.
  d. Your diet is different here in the hospital than at home, and that is the most likely cause of the increased glucose level.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tuwy

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
When the sympathetic nervous system is operative, the individual experiences muscular tension and an elevated pulse, blood pressure, and respiratory rate. Relaxation is achieved when the sympathetic nervous system is quieted and the parasympathetic nervous system is operative. Modifying electronic signals is the basis for biofeedback, a behavioral approach to stress reduction. Altering thinking and activities from more-stressful to less-stressful reflects the cognitive approach to stress management. Reducing catecholamine production is the basis for guided imagery's effectiveness.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The release of cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine increases blood glucose levels. The increase in blood sugar is not coincidental. The kidneys do not control blood glucose. A diabetic patient who is hospitalized will be on an appropriate diet to help control blood glucose.

oliviahorn72

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

mochi09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library