Author Question: A nurse is educating a 21-year-old lifeguard about the risk of skin cancer and the need to wear ... (Read 28 times)

Deast7027

A nurse is educating a 21-year-old lifeguard about the risk of skin cancer and the need to wear sunscreen. Which statement by the patient indicates that the need for further teaching?

a. I wear a hat and sit under the umbrella when not in the water.
  b. I don't bother with sunscreen on overcast days.
  c. I use a sunscreen with the highest SPF number.
  d. I wear a UV shirt and limit exposure to the sun by covering up.

Question 2

To help decrease the threat of a melanoma in a blonde-haired, fair-skinned patient at risk, the nurse would advise the patient to do which of the following?

a. Apply sunscreen 1 hour prior to exposure.
  b. Drink plenty of water to prevent hot skin.
  c. Use vitamins to help prevent sunburn by replacing lost nutrients.
  d. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to exposure.

elyse44

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The sun's rays are as damaging to skin on cloudy, hazy days as on sunny days. The other options will all prevent skin cancer.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Wearing sunglasses and sunscreen are recommended by the National Cancer Institute. Drinking water will help with heat exhaustion but will not prevent melanoma. Green tea, fish oil, soy products, and vitamin E are thought to be helpful in minimizing the risk of developing melanoma; however, vitamins do not prevent burn.