This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is instructing her patient with ulcerative colitis regarding the need to avoid enteric ... (Read 45 times)

cmoore54

A nurse is instructing her patient with ulcerative colitis regarding the need to avoid enteric coated medications. The nurse knows that the patient understands the reason for this teaching when he states which of the following?

a. The coating on these medications is irritating to my intestines.
  b. I need a more immediate response from my medications than can be obtained from enteric coated medications.
  c. Enteric coated medications are absorbed lower in the digestive tract and can be irritating to my intestines or inadequately absorbed by my inflamed tissue.
  d. I don't need to use these medications because they cause diarrhea, and I have had enough trouble with diarrhea and rectal bleeding over the past weeks.

Question 2

The parents of a newborn question the nurse about the need for vaccinations: Why does our baby need all those shots? He's so small, and they have to cause him pain.

The nurse can explain to the parents that which of the following are true about vaccinations? (Select all that apply.)
  a. Are only required for infants
  b. Are part of primary prevention for system disorders
  c. Prevent the child from getting childhood diseases
  d. Help protect individuals and communities
  e. Are risk free
  f. Are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Hikerman221

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Enteric coatings on medications are designed to prevent breakdown and absorption of the medication until lower in the digestive tract, usually to prevent stomach irritation or to reach a certain point in the digestive tract for optimal absorption. For the patient with ulcerative colitis, the intestinal lining is inflamed or susceptible to inflammation and can have impaired absorption; therefore, enteric coated medications should be avoided. The coating is not irritating, but the medication can be. The response time of the medication is not a concern in this instance. Enteric coated medicines do not cause diarrhea simply because they are enteric coated.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, D, F
Immunizations are considered part of primary prevention, help protect individuals from contracting specific diseases and from spreading them to the community at large, and are recommended by the CDC. Immunizations are recommended for people at various ages from infants to older adults. Vaccination does not guarantee that the recipient won't get the disease, but it decreases the potential to contract the illness. No medication is risk free.

cmoore54

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

hollysheppard095

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library