Author Question: A patient has sleep deprivation. Which statement by the patient will indicate to the nurse that ... (Read 14 times)

leo leo

A patient has sleep deprivation. Which statement by the patient will indicate to the nurse that outcomes are being met?

a. I wake up only once a night to go to the bathroom.
  b. I feel rested when I wake up in the morning.
  c. I go to sleep within 30 minutes of lying down.
  d. I only take a 20-minute nap during the day.

Question 2

An older-adult patient is visiting the clinic after a fall during the night. The nurse obtains information on what medications the patient takes. Which medication most likely contributed to the patient's fall?

a. Melatonin
  b. L-tryptophan
  c. Benzodiazepine
  d. Iron supplement

alvinum

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Being able to sleep and feeling rested would indicate that outcomes are being met for sleep deprivation. Limiting a nap to 20 minutes is an intervention to promote sleep. Going to sleep within 30 minutes indicates a goal for insomnia. Waking up only once may indicate nocturia is improving but does not relate to sleep deprivation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The most likely cause is a benzodiazepine. If older patients who were recently continent, ambulatory, and alert become incontinent or confused and/or demonstrate impaired mobility, the use of benzodiazepines needs to be considered as a possible cause. This can contribute to a fall in an older adult. Short-term use of melatonin has been found to be safe, with mild side effects of nausea, headache, and dizziness being infrequent. Iron supplements may be given to patients with restless legs syndrome. Some substances such as L-tryptophan, a natural protein found in foods such as milk, cheese, and meats, promote sleep; while it does promote sleep, it is not the most likely to cause mobility problems.