This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient is having a difficult time dealing with an AIDS diagnosis. The patient states, It's not ... (Read 22 times)

lidoalex

The patient is having a difficult time dealing with an AIDS diagnosis. The patient states, It's not fair. I'm totally isolated from God and my family because of this. Even my father hates me for this. He won't even speak to me.

What should the nurse do?
  a. Tell the patient to move on and focus on getting better.
  b. Use therapeutic communication to establish trust and caring.
  c. Assure the patient that the father will accept this situation soon.
  d. Point out that the patient has no control and that he or she must face the consequences.

Question 2

A male patient in stable condition is in the intensive care unit (ICU) and is asking to see his spouse and two daughters. What should the nurse do?

a. Allow only 5 to 10 minutes with the family.
  b. Allow the wife and daughters to visit at the patient's request.
  c. Allow the two daughters to visit, and let the wife visit when they leave.
  d. Allow the wife and one daughter to enter the ICU but not the other daughter.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mjbamaung

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Application of therapeutic communication principles and caring helps you establish therapeutic trust with patients. The nurse should not offer false hope (father will accept the situation soon). The nurse should help the patient maintain feelings of control, not no control. The nurse should encourage renewing relationships if possible and establishing connections with self, significant others, and God.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Use of support systems is important in any health care setting. Allowing the family to visit is appropriate since the patient is in stable condition. When patients depend on family and friends for support, encourage them to visit the patient. As long as no interference with active patient care is involved, there is no reason to limit visitation. Limiting the visit is not necessary since the patient is stable. Breaking the family apart is not needed; the patient is stable and can see all three at once.

lidoalex

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

Alyson.hiatt@yahoo.com

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library