This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse teaches the patient about the prescribed buccal medication. Which statement by the patient ... (Read 116 times)

meagbuch

A nurse teaches the patient about the prescribed buccal medication. Which statement by the patient indicates teaching by the nurse is successful?

a. I should let the medication dissolve completely.
  b. I will place the medication in the same location.
  c. I can only drink water, not juice, with this medication.
  d. I better chew my medication first for faster distribution.

Question 2

A nurse has withdrawn a narcotic from the medication dispenser and must waste a portion of the medication. What should the nurse do?

a. Have another nurse witness the wasted medication.
  b. Return the wasted medication to the medication dispenser.
  c. Place the wasted portion of the medication in the sharps container.
  d. Exit the medication room to call the health care provider to request an order that matches the dosages.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dmurph1496

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Buccal medications should be placed in the side of the cheek and allowed to dissolve completely. Buccal medications act with the patient's saliva and mucosa. The patient should not chew or swallow the medication or take any liquids with it. The patient should rotate sides of the cheek to avoid irritating the mucosal lining.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The nurse should follow Nurse Practice Acts and safe narcotic administration guidelines by having a nurse witness the wasted medication. The nurse cannot return the wasted medication to the medication dispenser. Wasted portions of medications are not placed in sharps containers. The nurse should not leave the narcotic unattended and call the health care provider to obtain matching dosages; the nurse is expected to obtain the correct dose.

meagbuch

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

gcook

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library