Author Question: During a routine physical assessment, the nurse obtaining a health history notes that a 50-year-old ... (Read 34 times)

jho37

During a routine physical assessment, the nurse obtaining a health history notes that a 50-year-old female patient reports pain and redness in the right breast. Which action is best for the nurse to take in response to this finding?

a. Assess the patient as thoroughly as possible.
  b. Explain to the patient that breast tenderness is normal at her age.
  c. Tell the patient that redness is not a cause for concern and is quite common.
  d. Inform her that redness is the precursor to normal unilateral breast enlargement.

Question 2

A nurse discusses the risks of repeated sun exposure with a young-adult patient. Which response will the nurse most expect from this patient?

a. I should consider participating in a health fair about safe sun practices.
  b. I'll make an appointment with my doctor right away for a full skin check.
  c. I've had this mole my whole life. So what if it changed color? My skin is fine.
  d. I have a mole that has been bothering me. I'll call my family doctor for an appointment to get it checked.

cam1229

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
A comprehensive assessment offers direction for health promotion recommendations, as well as for planning and implementing any acutely needed intervention. Redness or painful breasts are abnormal physical assessment findings in the middle-aged adult. Increased size of one breast is an abnormal physical assessment finding in the middle-aged adult.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Most typically young adults would say that their skin is fine. Young adults often ignore physical symptoms and often postpone seeking health care. Making an appointment right away with the doctor and participating in health fairs are not typical behaviors of young adults for the same reason.