This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse notes a widely bizarre pattern on the client's cardiac monitor. What is the nurse's ... (Read 22 times)

berenicecastro

The nurse notes a widely bizarre pattern on the client's cardiac monitor. What is the nurse's priority action?

1. Call a code blue.
  2. Check the client's pulse.
  3. Immediately defibrillate the client.
  4. Check the rhythm in a different lead.

Question 2

Which statement, if made by a parent, will require further instruction from the nurse?

a. I should not be surprised that my teenage son has so many friends.
  b. I get worried because my teenage son thinks he's indestructible.
  c. I should cover for my 10-year-old son when he makes mistakes until he learns the ropes.
  d. I usually have nutritious snacks available because my 10-year-old son is always hungry right after school.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kusterl

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: This is not the first thing that the nurse should do.
Rationale 2: The nurse should always remember to verify any changes on the cardiac monitor by assessing the client (in this case, checking the pulse). The cardiac monitor reports electrical activity that may not directly reflect the mechanical activity occurring in the heart.
Rationale 3: The nurse should not immediately defibrillate the client.
Rationale 4: The nurse should not check the rhythm in a different lead first.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The nurse will need to teach the parent of a school-aged child covering for the child's mistakes; this is a misconception that needs to be corrected. Parents have to learn to allow their school-aged child (6 to 12 years old) to make decisions, accept responsibility, and learn from life's experiences. All the other statements are normal and do not need further teaching. Teenagers typically are very social and have many friends. Adolescents seek a group identity because they need esteem and acceptance. Adolescents feel they are indestructible, which leads to risk-taking behaviors. School-age children are developing eating patterns that are independent of parental supervision. Having nutritious snacks available is a healthy option.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

Everyone has one nostril that is larger than the other.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library