Author Question: A terminally ill client states to the nurse, My situation is hopeless; I have no control over ... (Read 24 times)

urbanoutfitters

A terminally ill client states to the nurse, My situation is hopeless; I have no control over anything. The nurse implements which of the following interventions to enable hope for the client?

A) State to the client, We have explored all treatment options.
  B) Encourage the client to discuss his feelings.
  C) Sit in a chair next to the client.
  D) Hold the client's hand.
  E) Withhold information about disease progression.

Question 2

The client is newly diagnosed as having a terminal disease and asks, I'm going to die soon, aren't I? What are the most appropriate statements by the nurse? Select all that apply.

A) You should ask your health care provider that question.
  B) What have you been told by your health care provider?
  C) How do you feel about that?
  D) This is something I am not comfortable discussing.
  E) No, you are not actively dying.

kishoreddi

• Your online Help in Biology and chemistry
Answer to Question 1

Ans: B, C, D
Measures to establish rapport with the client (e.g., providing time and physical contact by sitting in a chair next to the client; holding the client's hand) should be utilized. The client should be encouraged to express his feelings. The nurse avoids language that would extinguish hope as in the statement, We have explored all treatment options. The nurse should provide information about the progress of the disease.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B, C
The questions What have you been told? and How do you feel about that? encourage the client to discuss what he does know and his feelings. The nurse needs to be comfortable about discussing issues related to dying with the client. Referring the question to the health care provider is considered passing the buck. The statement, No, you are not actively dying is closing the conversation and lying to the client.