This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse pays a house visit to a client who is on total parenteral nutrition. The client expresses ... (Read 33 times)

plus1

A nurse pays a house visit to a client who is on total parenteral nutrition. The client expresses that he misses enjoying food with his family. What is the most appropriate response by the nurse?

A) Tell me more about how it feels to eat with your family.
  B) You can sit with your family at meal times, even though you don't eat.
  C) In a few weeks you may be allowed to eat a little; you may enjoy then.
  D) I know that you must be missing your favorite foods.

Question 2

A client has been recently diagnosed with diabetes. He is seen in the emergency room every day with high blood sugar. The client apologizes to the nurse for bothering them every day, but he cannot give himself insulin injections. What should the nurse

A) I myself cannot take insulin injections.
  B) Has someone taught you how to take them?
  C) You should learn to take injections yourself.
  D) Ask the doctor to change the medications.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

connor417

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
The nurse should help the client to verbalize his feelings and cope with aspects of illness and treatment. Asking open-ended questions is most appropriate as the nurse encourages the client to express his feelings. The other options block communication and are not appropriate. Telling the client that he can sit with his family but avoid eating does not consider the client's feelings. Informing the client that he will be able to eat food in a few weeks changes the subject and stops communication. Stating that the client is missing his favorite dishes devalues the client's feelings.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
The nurse should assess whether the client has a knowledge deficit regarding self-injection. If there is a knowledge deficit, the nurse should educate the client in the correct method of taking insulin injections. Answer A is a negative reinforcement and is therefore inappropriate. Demanding that the client learn injection administration is also inappropriate. Answer D is inappropriate, because the nurse should not offer a change that cannot be carried out.

plus1

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

essyface1

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library