This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Three days ago, a patient had cardiac surgery to bypass three occlusions of his coronary arteries. ... (Read 23 times)

imanialler

Three days ago, a patient had cardiac surgery to bypass three occlusions of his coronary arteries. Veins for the bypass were harvested from his right leg. He informs the nurse that his leg is warm and tender in his right calf.

The nurse notes a 3-cm periwound erythema and swelling at the distal end of the incision. Staples are intact along the incision, and there is no drainage. Vital signs are stable. The nurse would suspect that the patient has what kind of complication?
  a. Deep vein thrombosis
  b. Dehiscence of the wound
  c. Internal bleeding
  d. Infection at the incisional site

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a pregnant woman about the increased oxygen demand that develops during pregnancy. The nurse knows the patient comprehends the teaching when she makes the following statement:

a. I may need to drink more fluids to make more oxygen.
  b. I may need to take an iron supplement so that I am not anemic.
  c. I will need a multivitamin supplement for several months.
  d. I will need to eat more fruits and vegetables.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Sophiapenny

Answer to Question 1

A
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a clot in the veins that are deep under the muscles of the leg. DVT can occur after surgery, after lengthy bedrest, or after trauma. Symptoms include pain, warmth, redness, and swelling of the leg. Dorsiflexion of the foot (pulling toes forward) and Pratt's sign (squeezing calf to trigger pain) have not been found to be reliable in diagnosing DVT. Dehiscence is the rupture of a suture line, whereas evisceration is the protrusion of internal organs through the rupture. Internal bleeding is a wound-healing complication associated with hematoma formation, pain, hypotension, and tachycardia. Infection is a complication of wound healing that causes warmth, pain, inflammation of the affected area, and changes in vital signs (i.e., elevated pulse and temperature).

Answer to Question 2

B
During pregnancy, oxygen demand increases dramatically. To compensate, the mother's blood volume increases by 30. The woman requires additional iron to produce this blood as well as to meet fetal requirements. Failure to meet these iron demands can result in maternal anemia, reducing tissue oxygenation of the mother.

imanialler

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

upturnedfurball

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

In 2010, opiate painkllers, such as morphine, OxyContin®, and Vicodin®, were tied to almost 60% of drug overdose deaths.

Did you know?

You should not take more than 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day. Doses above this amount increase the risk of bleeding problems that can lead to a stroke.

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library