Author Question: A student nurse is preparing a Mormon female for surgery. Which statement made or question asked by ... (Read 26 times)

kodithompson

A student nurse is preparing a Mormon female for surgery. Which statement made or question asked by the nurse indicates an understanding of the patient's religious practices or beliefs?

a. This is a new gown. No one else has worn it.
  b. How would you like me to handle your undergarments?
  c. I will let your surgical team know that only females can touch you.
  d. Would you like me to pray with you?

Question 2

Which statement made by the student nurse to a Jehovah's Witness patient indicates a need for further learning?

a. I documented in your medical records that you do not want blood transfusions or blood products.
  b. I will decorate your room with holiday ornaments.
  c. Happy Birthday. I will have the dietary department send up a cake for you.
  d. The organ procurement (donation) center was notified that you did not want to donate an organ.

Ksh22

Answer to Question 1

B
Both male and female Mormons wear special sacred undergarments that are removed only for hygiene, intimacy, and bathroom use. Nurses may also remove it before surgery, but it must be considered intensely private and be treated with respect. Rastafarian females will not wear second-hand clothes and require a gown that has not been worn by others. Muslim women prefer to be treated by female staff. Inquiring about prayer is inappropriate because the patient should initiate the request; further, prayer is not specific to this religion.

Answer to Question 2

C
Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays or holidays, with the exception of the anniversary of Christ's death. Thus, asking the dietary department to send up a birthday cake for celebration indicates that the nurse does not understand the Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs and practices. The nurse is correct in noting that Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept blood transfusions or products or donate their organs. Decorating the patient's room for Christmas shows the nurse does not understand the patient's religion.