Author Question: The nurse is seeing a home-care client with a history of mental illness. The client has just been ... (Read 17 times)

geoffrey

The nurse is seeing a home-care client with a history of mental illness. The client has just been discharged from the hospital after undergoing a mastectomy for breast cancer.

As the nurse begins to perform a dressing change over the left breast area, the client states, Every time I have a nurse come here, they do this dressing differently. I can't seem to have a nurse that does it right. What is the best response by the nurse?
  a. I don't know how other nurses do your dressing change, but I will do it correctly.
  b. I have done this type of dressing many times, so you don't need to worry.
  c. How would you like this dressing change done? Tell me how you do it.
  d. It seems you have some concerns with our agency. You may need to talk to the supervisor.

Question 2

The nurse is giving a health promotion class for middle-aged males. As part of her teaching plan, the nurse will provide information on which common health problems associated with this age group? Select all that apply.

a. Cardiovascular disease
  b. Cancer
  c. Alcoholism
  d. Obesity

vseab

Answer to Question 1

C
In this item, the client has a history of mental illness and a medical condition. There are specific interventions and actions a nurse can use in caring for such clients. One of the best strategies is to have the client participate in care and allow the client some control over the dressing change. Asking the client, How do you usually do the dressing? or How would you like the dressing done? is completely appropriate as long as the client preference is consistent with safe and effective nursing practice. Each of the other responses by the nurse may be common; however, they will not foster participation or control for this client.

Answer to Question 2

A, B, D
In the middle adult years, chronic diseases emerge as a major health problem. The most common are cancer, primarily lung, breast, colon, and prostate, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease. Health promotion and health screenings should be conducted in all these areas. Alcoholism is a health problem for many age groups but it is not classified as a major health problem for the middle-aged adult.