Author Question: According to Erikson, a behavior demonstrating an important psychosocial task for a toddler would be ... (Read 22 times)

LCritchfi

According to Erikson, a behavior demonstrating an important psychosocial task for a toddler would be for the child to:

a. Act defiantly by refusing to hold the mother's hand while crossing the street
  b. Recognize it is wrong to take a toy away from someone else
  c. Be able to understand the concept of time in hours
  d. Express to his parents and playmates that he does not like something

Question 2

A female client tells the nurse, I see how people look at me with my crooked back and short leg. No one has to tell me that I'm not pretty. The nurse realizes this client is exhibiting:

a. An overinflated sense of self-esteem
  b. A well-developed self-concept
  c. An overactive imagination
  d. A low self-concept

kardosa007

Answer to Question 1

A
The primary task during Erikson's stage 2, Autonomy Versus Shame and Doubt, is establishing an identity as separate from the parent/caregiver. A child between 18 months and 3 years typically tests the boundaries as part of exercising his will to control his environment. No is a declaration of independence and a bid for increased autonomy. Acts of independence and autonomy (e.g., refusing to hold the mother's hand) are normal during this developmental stage. The toddler should be able to tolerate time away from her parents, delay gratification, and have elimination control. The other tasks are accomplished during the preschool stage.

Answer to Question 2

D
Self-concept forms out of a person's evaluation of his physical appearance, intellectual ability, success in the workplace, friendship, and approval from others. A person with a low self-concept has a mostly negative perception of these evaluations of self. A low self-concept may cause withdrawal from social interactions and make it difficult to form relationships.