Author Question: The nurse is presenting a workshop on stress and adaptation to a group of teenagers at the local ... (Read 9 times)

yoroshambo

The nurse is presenting a workshop on stress and adaptation to a group of teenagers at the local high school. A teenager approaches the nurse and says, Sometimes I feel stressed when I have to take a test.

I feel my heart is going a little faster but I do focus better. What do you think? What is the most appropriate response by the nurse?
  a. No amount of stress is healthy, especially if your heart is going faster.
  b. As long as you are getting through the test, I think you will be just fine.
  c. A little stress is not necessarily a bad thing. It can help you to focus.
  d. You may need to develop some additional stress-reducing activities.

Question 2

A patient is in crisis. After assessing the situation, what should the nurse do first?

a. Determine the imminent cause of the crisis
  b. Intervene to relieve the patient's anxiety
  c. Decide on the type of help the patient needs
  d. Ensure the safety of both the nurse and patient

adammoses97

Answer to Question 1

C
Stress is not necessarily bad. It can keep one alert and motivate one to function at a higher performance level. For example, when preparing for an examination the desire to succeed can create just enough anxiety to motivate the student to study. Conversely, if a person becomes too anxious he may be unable to focus on the task or think clearly. In this item, the student identifies that he feels some anxiety but is able to focus. The nurse's response, as long as you are focusing and getting through the test is an acceptable one; however, this is not the best response as it will not assist the student in learning about and understanding mild stress and the motivating aspect of mild stress.

Answer to Question 2

D
The goals of crisis intervention are to assess the situation first. Then ensure safety of self and patient, defuse the situation, decrease the person's anxiety, determine the problem (cause of the crisis), and decide on the type of help needed. Safety is always foremost.