This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is checking over the past charting of the previous shift, paying special attention to how a ... (Read 18 times)

brutforce

A nurse is checking over the past charting of the previous shift, paying special attention to how a particular client responded to nursing interventions throughout the day.

The nurse is caring for this client and wants to see what has been effective, as well as what didn't work. This nurse is utilizing which of the steps of the decision-making process?
  1. Set the criteria
  2. Examine alternatives
  3. Implement
  4. Evaluate the outcome

Question 2

A nurse is being questioned by the parents of a client whose physician ordered a battery of invasive tests. They are wondering why their child should have to go through all the pain and discomfort of these studies.

The nurse is not familiar with the situation and has just come on duty for the evening shift. A limited report was given by the previous shift. The nurse understands that the child is stable at this time and has no pain, but the nurse has not been able to review the chart or do an initial assessment at this point. The best response by the nurse is:
  1. I'm not sure I can answer your question just now.
  2. It's a good idea to listen to what your physician wants.
  3. Your child's doctor is the best there is. I don't see why you wouldn't follow his advice.
  4. Maybe you should get another opinion if you're not comfortable with your doctor.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

LVPMS

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: In evaluating, the nurse determines the effectiveness of the plan and whether the initial purpose was achieved. In this situation, the nurse wants to determine what worked on the previous shift and what didn't. This will help with deciding on interventions for the client during the shift. Setting criteria is based on three questions: What is the desired outcome? What needs to be preserved? What needs to be avoided? Examining alternatives ensures that there is an objective rationale in relation to the established criteria for choosing one strategy over another. In this case, the nurse is evaluating the previous nurse's alternatives, not choosing new ones. Implementation is putting a plan into action.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Suspending judgment means tolerating ambiguity for a time. If an issue is complex it may not be resolved quickly and judgment should be postponed. In this case, the nurse just doesn't have enough information to give a good answer to the parents. For a while, the nurse will need to say, I don't know and be comfortable with that answer. Telling the parents to agree with the physician before the nurse knows all the facts might be premature, even if he is the best physician in the area. It would also be premature to tell the parents to get another opinion. Nurses should not give advice or counsel, merely information.

brutforce

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

irishcancer18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Allergies play a major part in the health of children. The most prevalent childhood allergies are milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

In 1844, Charles Goodyear obtained the first patent for a rubber condom.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library