This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An infant born via cesarean section because of a breech presentation is diagnosed with bilateral ... (Read 43 times)

AEWBW

An infant born via cesarean section because of a breech presentation is diagnosed with bilateral congenital hip dysplasia. The primary nursing intervention directed toward this diagnosis is:

1. Assessing the infant frequently to determine abduction of the thighs
  2. Maintaining the infant in the position of continuous abduction of both hips
  3. Educating the parents about the importance of positioning the infant so that the head of the femurs are in alignment with the hip sockets
  4. Providing pain management so that the infant is comfortable in the therapeutic position required

Question 2

A 16-year-old had a full leg cast for 4 months, and it is being removed today. Which of the fol-lowing statements made by the client shows the most informed understanding of the effects of immobilization of a muscle on its strength and stamina?

1. I'm hoping to be back at soccer practice in 3 weeks.
  2. Walking and riding my bike will help regain the muscle.
  3. I'll practice the strengthening routine the physical therapist taught me, so I can play baseball in the spring.
  4. There was a good bit of muscle and strength loss, but I'll work at getting it back like it was before the break.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mjenn52

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Maintenance of continuous abduction of the thigh so that the head of the femur presses into the center of the acetabulum is critical in the care and treatment of this infant. Although the other options are appropriate, they are not primary interventions in this scenario.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
Even this temporary immobilization results in some muscle atrophy, loss of muscle tone, and joint stiffness. When a client is immobile or on prolonged bed rest, activity level, activity tolerance, and muscle tone decrease. Appropriate general exercise and specific exercise of the atrophied muscle will increase both muscle tone and overall stamina. Although the remaining options are not incorrect, the answer shows the greatest insight because it provides both a plan and a time line for recovery.

AEWBW

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

gcook

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Your heart beats over 36 million times a year.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library