This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nursery nurse is explaining postcircumcision care to a new mother. Which of the following ... (Read 11 times)

CharlieWard

The nursery nurse is explaining postcircumcision care to a new mother. Which of the following statements by the new mother indicates that additional teaching needs to occur?

1. Babies don't experience pain, so I don't need to worry about hurting him when I touch the penis.
  2. I need to be careful not to put his diaper on too tight to avoid discomfort.
  3. I can comfort my baby following the procedure by holding him.
  4. The health care provider will numb the area before performing the procedure.

Question 2

A 38-year-old client presents to the pain clinic with complaints of phantom pain. The client was involved in a farming accident 3 years previously that resulted in a below-the-elbow amputation of his right arm.

The nurse knows that phantom pain is categorized as:
  1. Painful polyneuropathy
  2. Somatic pain
  3. Sympathetically maintained pain
  4. Deafferentation pain

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

matt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
Term neonates have the same sensitivity to pain as older infants and children. Preterm neonates have a greater sensitivity to pain than term neonates or older children.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
Deafferentation pain comes from injury to either the peripheral or central nervous system. Phan-tom pain reflects injury to the peripheral nervous system. In painful polyneuropathy the client feels pain along the distribution of many peripheral nerves; examples include diabetic neuropathy, alcohol-nutritional neuropathy, and Guillain-Barr syndrome. Somatic pain comes from bone, joint, muscle, skin, or connective tissue. It is usually aching or throbbing in quality and is well localized. Sympathetically maintained pain is associated with dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system; examples include pain associated with reflex sympathetic dystrophy/causalgia (complex regional pain syndrome, type I, type II).

CharlieWard

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

matt

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library