Author Question: A client with chronic pain states, I just want to be pain-free. Do something to make that hap-pen. ... (Read 16 times)

Arii_bell

A client with chronic pain states, I just want to be pain-free. Do something to make that hap-pen. The most therapeutic response is:

1. Together we will all work at making your pain tolerable.
  2. I will do everything I can to manage your pain; I promise.
  3. Are you feeling depressed or anxious because of your pain?
  4. You sound anxious. Would you like something for your nerves?

Question 2

The nurse is discussing the effects of pain with an older adult client diagnosed with osteoarthri-tis. The most therapeutic response to the client's comment of, I wonder whether it would hurt if I took a nap in the afternoon? would be:

1. As long as it did not interfere with your getting a good night's sleep.
  2. I'd suggest taking your nap right after you take your pain medication.
  3. If it helps you cope better with the pain, I don't see any harm in taking a nap.
  4. I think a nap is a good idea because we seem to feel pain more when we are tired.

meganmoser117

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
Complete pain relief is not always achievable, but reducing pain to a tolerable level is realistic. The remaining options either address issues other than pain or make promises that may be diffi-cult or impossible to keep.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
Fatigue heightens the perception of pain and decreases coping abilities. If fatigue occurs along with sleeplessness, the perception of pain is even greater. Pain is often experienced less after a restful sleep than at the end of a long day. The other options are not inappropriate but are not as informative regarding the benefit of rest on the perception or effects of pain.