This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who is scheduled for the second in a series of painful dressing changes asks for my pain ... (Read 34 times)

stevenposner

A client who is scheduled for the second in a series of painful dressing changes asks for my pain medication now so it's working when the dressing is changed is most likely expressing:

1. A great fear of the expected pain
  2. A need to be in control of his pain
  3. An understanding that it is easier to prevent the pain than to stop the pain
  4. An acceptance of the pain that the dressing change will obviously cause him

Question 2

Which of the following statements by the nurse reflects a need for immediate follow-up regard-ing the physical effects of chronic pain on body function?

1. His pulse and blood pressure are within his normal baseline limits, so I'm sure the pain medication is working.
  2. Please take his pulse and blood pressure, and let me know if they are elevated above his normal baselines.
  3. If his pulse and blood pressure are above his normal baseline, let me know, and I will medicate him for pain.
  4. Unmanaged pain usually manifests itself in both an elevated pulse and blood pressure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

guyanai

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3
Clients often seek relief before pain occurs, having learned that pain is easier to prevent than to treat. Although the other options may not be incorrect, the likelihood is greater for the answer.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
Except in cases of severe traumatic pain, which sends a person into shock, most people reach a level of adaptation in which physical signs return to normal. Thus clients in pain will not always have changes in their vital signs. Changes in vital signs are more often indicative of problems other than pain. Although the remaining options recognize the phenomena, they are not assuming that no elevation of vital signs means the absence of pain.

stevenposner

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library