This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is preparing to administer 8 mg of a 10 mg dose of an intravenous narcotic. Which of the ... (Read 47 times)

ghost!

The nurse is preparing to administer 8 mg of a 10 mg dose of an intravenous narcotic. Which of the following statements made by the nurse best reflects an understanding of the appropriate manner to handle this situation?

1. I will sign out the narcotic before the end-of-shift count is completed.
  2. I need to get another RN to witness the waste and sign the narcotic sheet.
  3. Narcotics are expensive, so it makes sense to save the unused portion for the next time they need the drug.
  4. I always make sure someone sees me place the unused portion on the narcotic in the sharps container.

Question 2

The nurse is administering an injection at the ventrogluteal site. On aspiration, the nurse notices that there is blood in the syringe. The nurse should:

1. Inject the medication
  2. Pull the needle back slightly and inject the medication
  3. Move the skin to the side and inject the medication slowly
  4. Discontinue the injection and prepare the medication again

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nhea

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
If a nurse gives only part of a premeasured dose of a controlled substance, a second nurse wit-nesses disposal of the unused portion. If paper records are kept, both nurses sign their names on the form. Do not place wasted portions in the sharps containers. Instead, flush wasted portions of tablets down the toilet and wash liquids down the sink. Unused portions of narcotics must not be saved.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
If blood appears in the syringe, the nurse should remove the needle and dispose of the medica-tion and syringe properly. The nurse should then prepare another dose of medication for admin-istration. The medication should not be injected, as it would be entering a blood vessel. The nee-dle should not be pulled back slightly and then injected, as there is no assurance of the needle being out of the vessel. The medication should not be injected, because there is no assurance of the needle being out of the vessel.

ghost!

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

epscape

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

In 1844, Charles Goodyear obtained the first patent for a rubber condom.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library