This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has assigned nursing assistive personnel to obtain the temperatures on the unit's clients. ... (Read 57 times)

imowrer

The nurse has assigned nursing assistive personnel to obtain the temperatures on the unit's clients.

Which of the following statements made by the assistive personnel shows the greatest need for additional instruction regarding appropriate temperature monitoring orally?
  1. Are all the clients cooperative enough to take the temperatures orally?
  2. Do you want me to take the temperature tympanically on everyone?
  3. I'll wait until breakfast is over so I won't distract them from eating.
  4. I'll chart the results and let you know whose temperature is running high.

Question 2

The nurse is using a manual cuff to assess the blood pressure of a client experiencing hyperten-sion.

To best ensure accommodation for a possible auscultatory gap, the nurse should use which of the following as a guide for inflating the cuff appropriately?
  1. Review the client's chart for his last blood pressure reading.
  2. Ask the client what his typical blood pressure reading is when taken manually.
  3. Inflate 30 mm Hg higher than where the radial pulse can no longer be palpated.
  4. Take the client's blood pressure both sitting and standing and use the higher reading.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ddddd

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3
When taking oral temperature, wait 20 to 30 min before measuring temperature if the client has smoked or ingested hot or cold liquids or foods. The nurse needs to reinforce this information so that the assessment will occur before breakfast or to allow enough time to pass after breakfast so as not to affect the readings. The options containing a question reflect a need for knowledge but do not have priority over an obvious indication of possible poor assessment technique. The nurse needs to evaluate the readings and so should be sure to give the assistive personnel guidance as to what readings are running high.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
The examiner needs to be certain to inflate the cuff high enough to hear the true systolic pressure before the auscultatory gap. Palpation of the radial artery helps to determine how high to inflate the cuff. The examiner inflates the cuff 30 mm Hg above the pressure at which the radial pulse was palpated. Taking the blood pressure in various positions will not help eliminate the possible loss of auditory sound between the systolic and diastolic sounds. While asking the client and/or reviewing the chart may provide information concerning the client's pressure, these options are not the recommended method for minimizing the effect of the auditory gap on the assessment process.

imowrer

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

aruss1303

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Every flu season is different, and even healthy people can get extremely sick from the flu, as well as spread it to others. The flu season can begin as early as October and last as late as May. Every person over six months of age should get an annual flu vaccine. The vaccine cannot cause you to get influenza, but in some seasons, may not be completely able to prevent you from acquiring influenza due to changes in causative viruses. The viruses in the flu shot are killed—there is no way they can give you the flu. Minor side effects include soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given. It is possible to develop a slight fever, and body aches, but these are simply signs that the body is responding to the vaccine and making itself ready to fight off the influenza virus should you come in contact with it.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library