This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is ambivalent as to the need to vigorously suction the secretions of a terminal client in a ... (Read 44 times)

jon_i

A nurse is ambivalent as to the need to vigorously suction the secretions of a terminal client in a comatose state. Which of the following is an appropriate statement by the nurse in regard to pro-cessing an ethical dilemma?

1. I just feel like I should not suction this client.
  2. I need to know the legalities of the living will of this client.
  3. I cannot figure out what's right in this situation. I need to collect more data.
  4. My spiritual beliefs mandate that I continue to provide all the interventions in my scope of practice.

Question 2

A nursing student that immediately informs her clinical instructor after she realizes that she has administered the wrong dose of medication to a patient is best described professionally as:

1. Confident
  2. Trustworthy
  3. Compliant
  4. Accountable

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Loise Hard

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3
The first step in processing an ethical dilemma is determining whether the problem is an ethical one. The nurse who cannot figure out what is right, is stating a characteristic of an ethical dilem-ma, which is that the problem is perplexing. The next step is to gather as much information as possible that is relevant to the case. I just feel like I should not suction this client is the nurse is stating the problem according to her feelings. I need to know the legalities of the living will of this client is the nurse who wants to know the legalities of the living will of a client is collecting some, but not all, data pertaining to the problem. My spiritual beliefs mandate that I continue to provide all the interventions in my scope of practice is the nurse stating her own beliefs.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
Accountability refers to the ability to answer for one's own actions. The goal is the prevention of injury to the client. The student nurse who informs her instructor of an error is being accountable for her actions and has a goal to prevent injury to the client. The student nurse would not be de-scribed professionally as confident (i.e., sure of oneself). The student is not best described as trustworthy. To be trustworthy, one is worthy of trust or confidence and reliable. In this case, the student was not reliable to administer medication correctly. This student nurse is not best de-scribed professionally as compliant. The student is not acting in accordance with wishes, com-mands, or requirements.

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library