Author Question: The nurse is working with the client and trying to clarify the client's values regarding his care. ... (Read 20 times)

serike

The nurse is working with the client and trying to clarify the client's values regarding his care. Which of the following statements reflects an example of the type of response a nurse should use in a values clarification situation?

1. Your questions were pretty blunt.
  2. Tell me what you're thinking right now.
  3. I've felt that way before. I'd be upset, too.
  4. You seem concerned about your tests. Let me explain them.

Question 2

A client who is recently diagnosed with cancer is encouraged to consider sharing the information with her family so they can support her through the decisions she will need to make regarding her care. The nurse is using the principle of:

1. Confidentiality
  2. Fidelity
  3. Veracity
  4. Justice

scottmt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Tell me what you're thinking right now is correct. Values clarification is a process of self-discovery in which the nurse should assist the client. The goal of values clarification with a client is effective nurse-client communication. As the client becomes more willing to express problems and feelings, the nurse can better establish an individualized plan of care. The character of a nurse's response to a client can motivate the client to examine personal thoughts and actions. When the nurse makes a clarifying response, it should be brief and nonjudgmental. Your ques-tions were pretty blunt is incorrect. Values clarification is a process of self-discovery in which the nurse should assist the client. The character of a nurse's response to a client can motivate the client to examine personal thoughts and actions. When the nurse makes a clarifying response, it should be brief and nonjudgmental. The client is being judgmental in this response. I've felt that way before. I'd be upset, too is incorrect as well. The nurse should not influence the client with his or her own values, even if they are similar. You seem concerned about your tests. Let me ex-plain them is also incorrect. This statement is therapeutic in that it is reflective of a client's feel-ing, and offers information. However, it does not encourage the client to examine their values.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
Veracity in general means accuracy or conformity to truth. The nurse is encouraging the client to be truthful with the client's family. Confidentiality means to not impart private matters. Fidelity refers to the agreement to keep promises. Justice refers to fairness.