Author Question: The nurse is determining whether interventions to address the diagnosis of Spiritual Distress for a ... (Read 53 times)

Jramos095

The nurse is determining whether interventions to address the diagnosis of Spiritual Distress for a client newly diagnosed with a chronic illness have been effective. What outcome would indicate that interventions have been effective for this client?

1. The client has talked with the church priest twice during the hospitalization.
  2. The client states that there is nothing that can be done spiritually to improve her current outlook on life.
  3. The client plans to make an appointment with a psychologist after discharge.
  4. The client thanks the nurse for trying to help improve her feelings.

Question 2

The nurse determines that a middle-aged client has developed spiritually. What client statement caused the nurse come to this conclusion?

1. I listen to and learn from others who talk about beliefs in God or a Supreme Being.
  2. The tales in the Bible are real to me.
  3. I attend service with my friends on most Sundays.
  4. I attend the same church as my parents and follow the customs of my culture.

EAN94

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Evidence that interventions to address the diagnosis of Spiritual Distress have been effective would be the client's talking with the church priest, as evidence of spiritual health is connecting with a spiritual leader.
Rationale 2: The client statement that nothing can be done spiritually would not be evidence that interventions to address the diagnosis of Spiritual Distress have been effective.
Rationale 3: The client's planning to see a psychologist would not be evidence to support that interventions to address the diagnosis of Spiritual Distress have been effective.
Rationale 4: The client's thanking the nurse for trying to help improve feelings would not be evidence to support that interventions to address the diagnosis of Spiritual Distress have been effective.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: The client who listens and learns from others about God or a supreme being is demonstrating openness to others' truths, which is a characteristic of spiritual development in middle adulthood.
Rationale 2: Stating that the tales in the Bible are real is a characteristic of a school-age client.
Rationale 3: Attending services with friends on most Sundays is a characteristic of spiritual development of the adolescent.
Rationale 4: Attending the same church and following cultural customs is a characteristic of a school-age client.