This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is instructing a client on self-administration of insulin. Which statement regarding ... (Read 23 times)

jwb375

The nurse is instructing a client on self-administration of insulin. Which statement regarding feedback will be most beneficial to the client?

1. You know, there are children who can learn to do this.
  2. Maybe it would be better if we taught your spouse to help you with this.
  3. Next time, dart the needle in your skin, instead of pushing it in.
  4. If you don't learn this, you can't be discharged.

Question 2

A nurse is working in a neonatal intensive care unit, teaching parents how to care for their tiny babies while they are still in the hospital. Which statement by a parent reflects a readiness to learn?

1. I'm so afraid I'll hurt my baby with all these tubes.
  2. I want to make sure my spouse is here, in case I don't hear everything that's said.
  3. When my baby is just a little bigger, I'll be able to handle him.
  4. You'll give us written instructions before we go home, correct?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jayson

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Ridicule or sarcasm can lead to withdrawal from learning, as in reminding an adult client that a child can perform the task or of not being discharged until the skill is learned.
Rationale 2: Statements about having somebody else learn the technique may also cause the learner to avoid the teaching moment and to avoid learning the technique altogether.
Rationale 3: Feedback should be meaningful to the learner and should support the desired behavior through praise, positively worded corrections, and suggestions of alternative methods.
Rationale 4: Ridicule or sarcasm can lead to withdrawal from learning, as in reminding an adult client that a child can perform the task or of not being discharged until the skill is learned.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: Statements about fear of the situation need to be addressed so the fear will not inhibit the learning process.
Rationale 2: Readiness to learn is the demonstration of behaviors or cues that reflect a learner's motivation, desire, and ability to learn at a specific time. The client who wants the spouse involved is demonstrating motivation and willingness, but also wants support from the spouse as well.
Rationale 3: Wanting to wait until the baby is older reflects uncertainty and possibly fear and should be addressed before learning can occur.
Rationale 4: Wanting to wait until discharge reflects uncertainty and possibly fear and should be addressed before learning can occur.

jwb375

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

robbielu01

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library