This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An 86-year-old patient asks the nurse what lifestyle changes will reduce the chance of a urinary ... (Read 19 times)

NguyenJ

An 86-year-old patient asks the nurse what lifestyle changes will reduce the chance of a urinary tract infection. Which response is accurate?

a. Urinary tract infections are unavoidable in the elderly because of a weakened immune system.
  b. Decreasing fluid intake will decrease the amount of urine with bacteria produced.
  c. Making sure to cleanse the perineal area from back to front after voiding will reduce the chance of infection.
  d. Increasing consumption of acidic foods such as cranberry juice will reduce the chance of infection.

Question 2

A nurse is providing education to a patient being treated for a urinary tract infection. Which of the following statements by the patient indicates an understanding?

a. Since I'm taking medication, I do not need to worry about proper hygiene.
  b. I should drink 15 to 20 glasses of fluid a day to help flush the bacteria out.
  c. My medication may discolor my urine; this should resolve once the medication is stopped.
  d. I should not have sexual intercourse until the infection has resolved.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcni194

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Cranberry juice and other acidic foods decrease adherence of bacteria to the bladder wall. Urinary tract infections are avoidable in the elderly population with proper knowledge and hygiene. Perineal skin should be cleansed from front to back to avoid spreading fecal matter to the urethra. Increasing fluids will help to flush bacteria, thus preventing them from residing in the bladder for prolonged periods of time.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Some anti-infective medications turn urine colors; this is normal and will dissipate as the medication leaves the system. Even if the patient is on medication, hygiene is important to prevent spread or reinfection. Fluid intake should be increased to help flush out bacteria; however, 15 to 20 glasses is too much. Sexual intercourse is allowed with a urinary tract infection, as long as good hygiene and safe practices are used.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library