This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has an order to receive 10 units of U-50 insulin. The nurse is using a U-100 syringe. How ... (Read 35 times)

rachel9

A patient has an order to receive 10 units of U-50 insulin. The nurse is using a U-100 syringe. How many units should the nurse draw up in the syringe and administer?

a. 0.2 units
  b. 2 units
  c. 5 units
  d. 20 units

Question 2

A nurse knows that patient education has been effective when the patient states

a. I must take my parenteral medication with food.
  b. If I am 30 minutes late taking my medication, I should skip that dose.
  c. I will rotate the location where I give myself injections.
  d. Once I start feeling better, I will stop taking my medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ASDFGJLO

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The nurse is careful to perform nursing calculations to ensure proper medication administration. U-50 insulin has 50 units of insulin in every milliliter, a U-100 syringe has 100 units in every milliliter. Conversion equals 20 units.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Rotating injection sites provides greater consistency in absorption of medication. Parenteral medication absorption is not affected by the timing of meals. Taking a medication 30 minutes late is within the 60-minute window of the time medications should be taken. Medications should be stopped based on the provider's orders. With some medications, such as antibiotics, it is crucial that the full course of medication is taken to avoid relapse of infection.

rachel9

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

scottmt

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library