This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The older patient presents to the emergency department after stepping in front of a car at a ... (Read 23 times)

chads108

The older patient presents to the emergency department after stepping in front of a car at a crosswalk. After the patient has been triaged, the nurse interviews the patient. Which of the following comments would require follow-up by the nurse?

a. I try to exercise, so I walk that block almost every day.
  b. I waited and stepped out when the traffic sign said go.
  c. The car was going too fast, the speed limit is 20.
  d. I was so surprised; I didn't see or hear the car coming.

Question 2

During the admission assessment, the nurse assesses the patient for fall risk. Which of the following has the greatest potential to increase the patient's risk for falls?

a. The patient is 59 years of age.
  b. The patient walks 2 miles a day.
  c. The patient takes Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for allergies.
  d. The patient recently became widowed.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pratush dev

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The patient did not see or hear the car coming. As patients age, sensory impairment can increase the risk for injury. This statement by the patient would require follow-up by the nurse. The patient needs hearing and eye examinations. Exercise is important at every stage of development. The patient seemed to comprehend how to cross an intersection correctly and was able to determine the speed of the car.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) has the potential to cause drowsiness and dizziness as a side effect, thereby increasing the risk for falls. Over 60 is the age typically found on fall assessments that increase the risk for falls. Walking has many benefits, including increasing strength, which would be beneficial in decreasing risk. Becoming widowed would increase stress and may affect concentration but is not the greatest risk.

chads108

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

pratush dev

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library