This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older adult patient has developed acute confusion. The patient has been on tranquilizers for the ... (Read 29 times)

Bob-Dole

An older adult patient has developed acute confusion. The patient has been on tranquilizers for the past week. The patient's vital signs are normal. What should the nurse do?

a. Take into account age-related changes in body systems that affect pharmacokinetic activity.
  b. Increase the dose of tranquilizer if the cause of the confusion is an infection.
  c. Note when the confusion occurs and medicate before that time.
  d. Restrict telephone usage to prevent further confusion.

Question 2

Which of these patient statements is the most reliable indicator that an older adult has the correct understanding of health promotion activities?

a. I need to increase my fat intake and limit protein.
  b. I should discontinue my fitness club membership for safety reasons.
  c. I'm up to date on my immunizations, but at my age, I don't need the tetanus vaccine.
  d. I still keep my dentist appointments even though I have partials now.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dudman123

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Sedatives and tranquilizers sometimes prescribed for acutely confused older adults sometimes cause or exacerbate confusion. Carefully administer drugs used to manage confused behaviors, taking into account age-related changes in body systems that affect pharmacokinetic activity. When confusion has a physiological cause (such as an infection), specifically treat that cause, rather than the confused behavior. When confusion varies by time of day or is related to environmental factors, nonpharmacological measures such as making the environment more meaningful, providing adequate light, etc., should be used. Making telephone calls to friends or family members allows older adults to hear reassuring voices, which may be beneficial.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
General preventive measures for the nurse to recommend to older adults include keeping periodic dental appointments to promote good oral hygiene, eating a low-fat, well-balanced diet, exercising regularly, and maintaining immunizations for influenza, pneumococcal pneumonia, and tetanus.

Bob-Dole

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

parshano

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library