This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An outcome for an older adult patient living alone is to be free from falls. Which of these ... (Read 13 times)

Yi-Chen

An outcome for an older adult patient living alone is to be free from falls. Which of these statements by a patient indicates that teaching on safety concerns has been effective?

a. I'll leave my throw rugs in place so that my feet won't touch the cold tile.
  b. I'll take my time getting up from the bed or chair.
  c. I should wear my favorite smooth bottom socks to protect my feet when walking around.
  d. I will have my son dim the lighting outside to decrease the glare in my eyes.

Question 2

A male older adult patient expresses his concern and anxiety about decreased penile firmness during erection. What is the nurse's best response?

a. Explain that over time, his libido will decrease, as will the frequency of sexual activity.
  b. Tell the patient to double his antidepressant medication to increase his libido.
  c. Tell the patient that this change is expected in aging adults.
  d. Tell the patient that touching should be avoided unless intercourse is planned.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

memslove

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Older adults taking medications with adverse effects such as postural hypotension, dizziness, or sedation need to be aware of these potential effects and to take precautions such as changing position slowly or ambulating with assistance if unsteady. Household items that are easy to trip over, such as throw rugs, are a risk factor for falls. Other risk factors include wearing shoes in poor repair or slippery soles. Impaired vision and poor lighting are other risk factors.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Decreased firmness during erection is an expected change in aging adults. Libido does not necessarily decrease as one ages. Many older adults use prescription medications that depress sexual activity such as antihypertensives, antidepressants, sedatives, or hypnotics. Touch complements traditional sexual methods or serves as an alternative sexual expression when physical intercourse is not desired or possible.

Yi-Chen

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Dinolord

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library