Author Question: The nurse is performing a health history to determine the patient's cognitive status. Which ... (Read 29 times)

abarnes

The nurse is performing a health history to determine the patient's cognitive status. Which questions will be best suited to elicit the information needed? (Select all that apply.)

a. Are you able to drive to the store or do errands?
  b. Do you live with anyone?
  c. Do you ever feel sad?
  d. Are you able to smell different foods?
  e. Have you noticed any difficulty adding up numbers?

Question 2

The nurse is providing discharge instructions to a patient with visual alterations. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further education?

a. I should make sure the passageways are wide.
  b. I should remove all the throw rugs.
  c. I should keep the lights dim.
  d. I can use a cane to feel for objects in front of me.

fdliggud

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, E
Smell is a sensory function. Driving and adding numbers relates to cognitive ability. Asking about being sad helps understand mood, and asking if they live with anyone helps understand social status.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Bright lighting in hallways and stairways prevents falls by the patient who has limited vision. Furniture is placed to allow wide passageways. Throw rugs, which are a tripping hazard, are removed. If vision is severely limited, use of a cane or walking stick held slightly in front helps the patient feel objects in his/her path.